Monday, February 27, 2012

Brussels Anyone?



When your 19year old comes home from college and asks, "Mom, do you know how to make roasted brussel sprouts?" you'd better learn!

Apparently my brother-in-law makes them BEST - according to said son.  College son goes to school near my sister and brother-in-law who invite him to dinner every few weeks.

So, I text the BIL.  He texts back with super simple recipe.

So it's off to Trader Joes to buy some brussel sprouts.  Son accompanies and suggests THREE bags.


Here's the deal (I altered it slightly from BIL's recipe as I cut the sprouts before roasting).

Chop off any big stems.  Cut sprouts into halves or fourths long ways.  Place on baking sheet.  Drizzle with olive oil.  Add salt and pepper.



Place in 400 degree oven, shake every few minutes.

I put mine in the middle of the oven.  I roasted them for about 10-12 minutes.  My BIL roasted his whole sprouts for 30 shaking every 10 mins.



Remove from oven, place on dish and serve.  Don't forget all the little browned crispy leaves that fall off the sprout- they are almost as good as crispy kale or pop corn.

They were delish.  Tho. THREE pounds of them are a bit much for four people - we ate them leftover for many meals!

5 comments:

Jeannie said...

Very simple. We do roasted and pan-seared Brussels sprouts quite often. Add things like a bit of lemon and a sprinkle of brown sugar. Or a crumble of bacon (cooked) and a dash or two of bourbon. (Yeah ... remember, this is Kentucky!) We've also included them with a tray of other root, etc., veggies to roast in the oven -- white potatoes, sweet potatoes, turnips, carrots, onions, parsnips. Thanks for posting!

regan said...

I love brussel sprouts.....and this sounds so easy and yummy! Thanks! I'll also try some of Jeannie's variations.....those sound good, too! (Especially the bourbon one! Ha!)

Nancy said...

I love roasted Brussel sprouts, too. Your son has great taste. ;oD

Annick said...

I live in Belgium, about 15 miles from Brussels.. and I will try your recipe..

Sher said...

If I were eating Brussels in Brussels, I would definitely add a Belgian Blond beer to my dinner. Belgian beer is my FAVORITE!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...