Sunday, February 26, 2012

Lots of Holiday Making


I made a lot of gifts for the holidays this year.

I think one reason I didn't post much was because a lot of the crafting I was doing had a gift recipient who might read my blog.

One such gift I made was a quilt for my nephew, Quinn - age 5.

I made him a checkerboard quilt that I designed.  I don't know much about designing quilts, I just needed something that was easy.

My inspiration was a vintage fabric with a nautical theme and the fact that Quinn's bed is built into his wall like a captain's bed on a ship.



Here's my design process...not very technical.



Graph paper, crayons.



I used Red and Blue fabrics to complement the vintage ships fabric which I fussy cut and left as 12" squares.



I made random checkerboards using different sized squares.



I pieced them all together.

I took it to my Philly Modern Quilt Guild Meeting for Show and Tell and a bit of advice seeking (bad photo).





I pieced a nautical looking back - I love the way Modern quilters use design on both the front and the back of a quilt.

The quilting was very simple diagonal lines (on the machine) - I'm still learning...



The binding was my FIRST ever binding.  I made 2.5" binding strips, sewed them to the back and hand stitched them to the front.  I loved the process of hand-stitching.

I started the quilt top just over a week before Christmas and was finishing the binding just a few days before Christmas.



Quinn loved the quilt and I hope it lives on his bed and he gets a chance to snuggle in it often and for many years to come.

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

Wow! Wow! It's absolutely fabulous! So glad you posted photos. I'd heard about it but, of course, wasn't there to see it. Quinn will love it always ... especially sweet to know that his Aunt Sherrie will be hugging him for years to come. So nice.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...